I get every month a new challenge…. This time a customer wanted a cake in the form of a wine bottle. She was also very specific which wine bottle it has to be. Like I told you all before I don’t drink alcohol so when people came with names etc…. I need to google. This time it was a little bit easier because this customer send me a picture of how she wanted the cake to be.
In this blog I will guide you guys step by step how I did make this Wine bottle Cake. I hope you can learn how easy it is to make your own customized wine bottle cake. The only thing you need to make is time to make this cakes, because it’s alot of work!
1. First of all you make your cake batter (see previous blogs for several flavors of cake batter) and put the batter in the oven. I made vanilla sponge cake for this wine cake. I used a 20 diameter round cake pan and a 15 diameter round cake pan to make this cake. I made two 20 diameter and two 15 diameter round cake
2. Let the cake cool down and fill it with you favorite filling. This cake I filled with vanilla pudding and strawberry jam. (delicious this combination)
3.This cake is covered with fondant, so I make buttercream to covered the cake with. The buttercream helped the fondant stick to the cake. Let the cake chill in the refrigerator for about 15-20 minute. It’s easier to work with the cake when buttercream is hard. After the cake is chilled I cut the cakes into half and put them on the cake board (this time I used a mirror as cake board, because this cake was too big)
|20 diameter cake cut in half|
4. I draw a line on the cake, so I can give the cake the shape of a wine bottle. I you are not good in drawing google a wine bottle template. Here is the link where you can find a wine bottle template: http://www.houseofstirfry.com/chia/templates/wine01.html
|The cake with the lines|
5. After drawing the line I cut the first side of the cake in the shape of the bottle. You can see now, how the cake is getting the shape of the wine bottle.
6. On below picture you can see the final result after cutting both side of the cake in the shape of the wine bottle.
|Cake shaped ready to be covered with fondant|
After shaping the cake don’t forget to cover the sides with buttercream otherwise the fondant won’t stick on the cake.
7. I covered the cake with white fondant and hand painted the cake with red and golden foodcolour.
|Cake covered with fondant|
It’s a browny’s thing…